The History of Miller’s Smorgasbord

Before there was Route 30, Enos Miller started a truck repair and gas station on Lincoln Highway East. His wife, Anna, served homecooked meals with a friendly smile to his customers, thus starting Miller’s in 1929. Over time, word spread about Anna’s PA Dutch dishes like Chicken and Waffles and crowds came specifically for her tasty dishes. Outgrowing the space for dining, the restaurant took over the space the repair shop occupied.

In 1948, Anna and Enos sold the restaurant to long-term employees, Beatrice and Thomas Strauss. As the restaurant flourished, Beatrice and Thomas officially changed the name to Miller’s Smorgasbord and began serving our famous “seven sweets and seven sours” in 1957. You will still find the “seven sweets and seven sours” on the Smorgasbord today.

In 1973, the Strauss family expanded Miller’s baking capabilities by establishing Miller’s Bakery next to the restaurant. This allowed for the homemade baked goods and desserts that Miller’s Smorgasbord was known for to also be sold directly to the public as well as wholesale. Today, you can purchase Miller’s raisin bread, our famous chocolate pecan pie, sticky buns, shoofly pies, whoopie pies, and more along with other locally made dressings, jams, and food from the bakery storefront, Locally Made Food Shop.


To celebrate our 95th year, Miller’s Smorgasbord updated the entrance and lobby. The lobby will have a 1920s ambiance reminiscent of Enos’ original garage. Additionally, a new gift shop called Anna’s Gifts & Sundries opened in honor of Anna’s legacy at The Shoppes at Miller’s. Miller’s remains a family-owned establishment committed to offering hearty home-cooked meals and a wide variety of dishes daily. This includes a soup and salad bar that features 8 different homemade soups and over a dozen different Lancaster County salads, a carving station, Anna’s chicken and waffles, award-winning fried chicken, peel and eat shrimp, pot pie and so much more!  Today, our tried & true recipes are still cooked from scratch and served up with a smile. Come in and like Anna would say, “Eat yourself full”.

About Thomas E. Strauss, Inc.

Thomas E. Strauss, Inc. is a local family-owned and operated hospitality group in Lancaster County. Started by Thomas E. Strauss and Beatrice Strauss, it is now operated by their children. They started with Miller’s Smorgasbord and The Shoppes at Miller’s property. Currently, the family operates The Quilt Shop at Miller’s, Anna’s Gifts & Sundries, Miller’s Bakery and Locally Made Food Shop. In 1993, they purchased Plain & Fancy Farm which included the Plain & Fancy Restaurant. In 2003, AmishView Inn & Suites was added to the property and Smokehouse BBQ & Brews was established in 2017.